Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Good-bye Girl

One of my favorite movies of all time is The Good-bye Girl with Richard Dreyfuss and Marsha Mason. My son (who does a lot of community theater) and I watched it this morning. He'd never seen it before. I can't believe it was made in 1977 - I suddenly feel very old! It was fun to see it through his eyes.

Of course, he's relating to all the acting references, and there are many in this movie. Neil Simon is such a brilliant writer, the lines flow so effortlessly (or so it seems.) My son was laughing at the way Elliott (Dreyfuss's role) quotes movie lines in his conversations (my son does the same thing all the time.)

Now, as a romance writer, I love the development of the relationship between Elliott and Paula (Mason's role.) They go from being antagonistic - having been thrown into a situation neither of them had any control over, to being amicable, to attracted to each other, to falling in love. My all time favorite scene is the rooftop scene and Paula's line "I'm a sucker for romance."

I am too!

Natasha

2 comments:

Karen Erickson said...

I remember going to see this w/ my mom when I was 7! I loved it - I loved the daughter. I wanted to be her. After my sarcastic mouth went on and on, my mom muttered over how she wished she'd never taken me to the movie! Ha!

I watched it again a couple of years ago and it is such a great movie. Everything about it is funny and sweet. :)

Anna J. Evans said...

I'm going to have to watch that one again. I remember my mom and I watched it when I was younger.

Thanks for the rec!

Anna J. Evans