Monday, March 12, 2007

Thinking Outside the Box

Another Monday Inspiration...

"Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity." ~ Christopher Morley


Isn’t that an exciting quote? For me, it’s a reminder to think outside the box. To stand out in the crowd of other writers. To write the stories only you can write.

We all know there’s a fine line between writing something too safe and writing something too different. Only you can decide. If it’s a story you have to write, do it. No one else can tell that story. If you don’t, the world will never have it. And that’s a sad thought.

Don’t be afraid to try something new. I finished the first draft of my current wip on Saturday and had planned to print it out and start editing on Sunday. But Sunday morning a completely new idea burst into my brain - in first person present tense yet - and I wrote all afternoon in a style I'd never attempted before. It was great. It was new.

It felt awesome.

Now let's hope that exciting feeling continues through the rest of the story.

Have a great week.

Natasha

2 comments:

Kathleen Scott/MK Mancos said...

Don't you just hate it when new characters thwart your hard lain plans? Usually new inspiration will hit me in the shower. I don't know why, but I'm sure Freud would have had a field day with that. Anyhoo, sometimes I find it hard to concentrate on the stories I need to be concentrating on because I'm so busy doing character sketches and outlines for projects I probably won't get to for years. I've already decided that this year will be spent catching up on the manuscripts I started but didn't finish. Then I'll move onto new works.

But sometimes...you just have to purge those new characters in order to move on.

-Kat

Natasha Moore said...

Kat, I could never let those characters go without getting something down...notes/sketches, etc. I hate it when I suddenly think...what was that idea I had? All those idea files are like money in the bank. (We hope LOL)

Good luck catching up on all those great ideas.